June 08, 2007

Thai Shoes

(Written Monday, June 4)

It was hard to return to work today after our lovely long weekend!

I went back to MBK mall this evening determined to find some pretty sandals to wear out on the town (the only nice shoes I brought with me are high-heeled work shoes). While on the BTS, I resigned myself to the fact that I probably wouldn’t find anything that fit, since Thai people have teeny-tiny feet, and may be horrified by someone looking for size 9 ½. And indeed, the first couple of stores I looked in only had sizes up through 40 (I’m a size 41 here apparently). However, a tiny store I peeked into had a row of cute sandals that looked a little larger, so I asked a saleswoman, and they had size 41! I tried them on and was shocked to discover that they fit. The very first pair I tried! It’s usually incredibly difficult to find shoes that fit me in the US, much less abroad, so I was stunned, and willing to pay pretty much any price she asked. Luckily, the shoes were only 200 Baht, or $7-8. A great bargain! I bought them in white, but may have to go back and get the pair in brown as well, since I may never find cute sandals that fit again EVER. At least until my foot reduction surgery.

No comments: