June 19, 2007

Doi Suthep and Shopping

(Written Sunday, June 10)

I woke up around 5 this morning in an attempt to get to Doi Suthep Temple (in the hills above Chiang Mai) by 6, when the monks gather with their alm bowls to collect offerings. Unfortunately, I hadn’t realized a side effect of traveling during the low season is that there are very few other tourists to travel with. This makes transportation much more expensive. I waited for almost an hour at the truck taxi for at least one other person to join us before I gave up, and paid an exorbitant price to travel up to the temple by myself. While I was waiting at the taxi, I did see some monks with their alms bowls. But by the time I reached the temple, they had already gone. Oh well.

Doi Suthep is very grand. There are 300+ steps leading up to it that I was determined to climb, although there is a kind of lift that people can take if they can’t stomach the ascent. Two curvy green dragon-snake creatures line the top of the staircase, and there were girls dressed in traditional village garb sitting on the stairs looking mournful in the hopes of receiving some handouts.

I made it to the top, then explored the temple. Very pretty, but my favorite part was seeing Chiang Mai from above. It was just a little foggy, but I could still see the city, and the view was beautiful. After admiring the view and temple, I headed back down the stairs, had some pad thai for an early lunch, then got a ride back home (it’s always cheaper to go downhill!).

I briefly went to my hotel, then headed out to visit more temples. A tuk-tuk driver suggested that I let him drive me around to a few temples, then take me to a few good souvenir stores he knew. I would have refused this offer since it sounded sketchy, but I had run into two of the other interns last night who had paid for this exact trip, and said it was well worth it, so I agreed. After the temples, my driver first took me to a silk store. I got to see the silk being turned into thread and cloth in the back (very cool) before being led to the store. Beautiful, but expensive! Next up was a lacquerware store. It was interesting to see the lacquerware being painted, but I don’t find lacquerware particularly attractive, so I didn’t buy anything. Lastly was a jewelry store specializing in jade. The store itself was more impressive than the jewelry—there were fish tanks through the main room filled with sharks! Very swanky.

The last thing on my list for the day was to take a look at the Sunday market, which I found a little more interesting than the night market, especially in terms of the foods offered. I ate coconut rice with mango (YUM) and a chicken kabob, and admired the tiny soup-filling leaf boats and other delicious delicacies. I didn’t buy any souvenirs there, but did find a few gifts in antique shops nearby.

This weekend was fun, but I’m ready to do some relaxing back at work now!

No comments: