June 08, 2007

Beach Lounging, Mopeds, and Karaoke!

(Written Saturday, June 2)


Ugh. I think I have a case of mild food poisoning. Both I and another intern have not felt well all day. I probably was careless and drank tap water or ate shrimp—two things people tell you not to do on the streets in Thailand. Anyway, it’s not terrible and I’ll survive, I just won’t get to enjoy the tasty Thai food for a day or two.

I am very happy that I feel bad on a day with no plans rather than an activity-filled day like yesterday. Most of the day I spent just lounging. I read magazines for a few hours this morning in our room, then ordered some fresh fruit juice at our resort’s slightly overpriced beachside restaurant, then read for a few more hours on the sand. I’m starting to get an odd tan that ends in an abrupt line at the top of my shoulders, since I’ve been wearing a short sleeve shirt with the sleeves tucked under to keep cool.

Around mid-afternoon, one of the interns came back to the resort with the moped she had rented for the day in tow. And yes, she let me take a ride with her! I was a bit wobbly at first, but got the hang of it when I realized how similar it was to riding a bike, albeit a heavy bike that has the capacity to go FAST. We decided to head up the street to find dinner (I was in search of some plain rice or soup), but we wanted to get the most use out of the moped that we could before having to return it, so I rode the bike up (just me), and it is so much fun! Everyone on the island rides them: tourists, locals, and even little kids. There don’t seem to be any laws regarding their use here.

The restaurant where we ended up eating was beautiful. The main eating room was a sort of large covered patio, and several tables and chairs were also located outside on the sand. Our table was about 15 feet from the ocean, and lit only by candles. I had yummy soup, and we listened with much amusement to the girls singing karaoke in the room behind us.

Later that evening, we returned to the restaurant to see some sort of fire show, but found out it had been held early, and we arrived five minutes after it ended. Disappointed, we ordered a drink from the bar, then did some karaoke of our own! This was my first real karaoke experience, and it was hilarious. We sang a song from “Grease,” then a requisite Britney Spears song. The Grease song was by far the bigger success—I’m not a fan of Britney and didn’t know the song that well, so it was a bit of a flop. But we didn’t really care. The Thai people there still cheered for us.

After drinks and karaoke, all three of us rode the moped together back to the resort without anyone falling off once! Even Thai people will be impressed when we tell them that.

1 comment:

April McCoy said...

Oooh Karaoke. Reminds me of Geneve!