June 05, 2007

Embassies and Coconuts

(Written Tuesday, May 29)

After a morning at work, I went for a visit to the Australian Embassy in the afternoon with our IP partner. Security at the Embassy is tight—bag check, metal detectors (both doorways and wands), no cell phones, and an exchange of IDs for passcards. The building obviously dates from the 70s: the architecture is efficient, bulky, and composed of different shades of tan and brown concrete. There is also a moat surrounding the building, which seems very out of place, but supposedly acts to cool down the building. I suspect that this moat is really a cover for some kind of crazy underwater high tech weapons system, but I decided not to ask about this. You know those Australians.

Anyway, the meeting was interesting. I learned a bit about the healthcare situation in Thailand as a side problem to the big IP issue of protection for pharmaceutical patents in this country. The healthcare problem: healthcare is very cheap for individuals in Thailand, but the hospitals receive little money from the government, so hospitals can’t afford to treat patients. The IP problem: Thailand says its people are too poor to afford brand-name pharmaceuticals, so Thailand should be allowed to break patents and make their own generic versions of drugs. Both are interesting conundrums.

The meeting lasted a few hours, so work had already ended when we left the Embassy. Back at home, I explored a few streets I hadn’t seen before. Hot and sweaty, I bought my first coconut drink. First, the guy takes a whole coconut from its bed of shaved ice, then he uses a machete to chop off the top, and finally he sticks a straw in. I thought that that much pure coconut milk might be too thick and sweet to drink by itself, but it was perfect for the weather and my state of exhaustion. Unfortunately, these coconuts seem to be bred just for their milk—I tried the coconut itself and it was tasteless and soggy. The coconut only cost me 15 or 20 Baht, or around 50 cents. I’ll take this over a soda any day in Bangkok!

No comments: