May 20, 2007

My Apartment

(Written May 19, 7 am)

So I have a room! Not sure what the mix-up was, but it has been corrected, and I am no longer homeless. My room is a studio containing a queen or maybe king-sized bed, chairs, side tables, desk, sink, lots of storage, a TV (mostly just the Discovery Channel and CNN in English), a small fridge (which I am very thankful for), and a bathroom. Also, AC that works beautifully!

Of course, when I took a shower last night, the hot water didn’t work. So I ended up taking a freezing shower in the freezing room I had created. Maybe I’ll get lucky and not catch a terrible cold right before my internship starts on Monday.

After getting my room, but before taking the shower, I went for a walk around my neighborhood. Almost everyone spoke at least a few words of English (hello, thank you, etc.), which is good, since I have not yet taken the time to study my Thai phrasebook. After wandering the streets and peering at the mystery foods being prepared on the street carts, I found a grocery store! With real food. Like chocolate. I will definitely be exploring street food as much as possible, but it’s nice to have somewhere to go to get staples. I left with grapes, milk, toilet paper, and water. No chocolate—how strong am I?

Note to self in future: when there is a sale, but it requires buying 6 huge bottles of water, then carrying them home in 95 degree 95 percent humidity weather, don’t be so cheap. I was really exhausted by the time I got back to my apartment with that load. But people were right about the tap water here. I haven’t tasted it, but it definitely smells funny, so I’ll likely be paying for bottled water for the rest of the summer.

After my shower, I collapsed in bed, watched a little TV, then fall asleep around 6:30. A little earlier than my goal of 8, but the walk really was the final straw. This morning, I woke up at 6:30 and feel much better, although still a bit disoriented.

Now I’m off to check out Chatuchak Market—the all-weekend flea market at the last stop of this branch of the Skytrain line.

2 comments:

April McCoy said...

No chocolate for you? You are strong! Walking back to an apartment with six bottles of water reminds me of Strasbourg last year. Why can't everywhere have Swiss water sources? Good luck with your internship tomorrow!!!

Heather said...

One of these days I'm going to beat Crazymutha to the first comment :) I'm SO happy that you have AC! In order to keep up with the water sales you should get one of those rolly carts that the French women use when they go to the grocery store. That way you don't have to be cheap AND you'll have water AND you won't be so tired :) Have fun tomorrow!