May 23, 2007

Free Speech

I tried to get onto a certain website today--the website that allows people to post videos and is called "you" followed by the word "tube." But instead of videos, a page of rainbow colored text in Thai popped up (because rainbow colors make everything better). Scrolling down to the bottom of the page reveals a message in small black English text (no special colors for foreigners): "Sorry! the web site you are accessing has been blocked by ministry of information and communication technology."

I had heard about the Thai government restricting access to this webpage in response to a video criticizing the Thai king that someone posted. But it didn't really hit me until I tried to visit the website myself. My con law classes kicked in hard core in response to this . Freedom of speech! Government censorship! Due process! Amendments and articles and letting stupid people say whatever they want!

So now that I've talked about this online, I suppose the Thai ministry might try to censor my blog. But maybe my cleverness in never mentioning THAT WORD will help me elude their grasp.

To be fair, the Thai king wears huge glasses and is quite little and cute. I wouldn't like it if someone said something mean about him either.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Con Law is useful? You really know your stuff! I hope they don't censor your blog. I would be so sad for the rest of the summer with no Sophie updates.