May 22, 2007

Day One

I am now officially an intellectual property intern!

Before I write further, I should mention that in this new world of blogging, I know many employers frown on employees keeping blogs about the workplace. Just in case anyone here ever stumbles across my blog (an unlikely possibility), I plan to keep any commentary regarding work short and anonymous. If I have serious problems with work or my fellow employees, I will simply have to send each person who reads my blog an individual e-mail full of complaints. Just kidding.

So, this morning was spent on orientation. I signed a few documents, read some rules, watched a short film about the firm, and chatted with my orientation person about how I liked Thailand. I then met the two other interns in my department, who have been here for a week already. We each have our own computer, but are working in the same room. Close quarters? A little bit. But I think we’ll often be working on projects together, so this will make it easier to brainstorm as a group.

For lunch, I followed the two interns, another intern from a different department, and a Thai girl to a noodle place nearby. We got to choose our ingredients, and I chose green noodles (why choose white noodles when you can choose green noodles?), dumpling-like things, and pieces of what I think were pork, along with the soup broth and a few greens. The soup was delicious—slightly sweet and very flavorful. After lunch, we explored the little outdoor market nearby, where I had another slushie, similar to the one I had near the Grand Palace, with more mystery jello and some bean-like thing that the Thai girl told me was a Chinese herb that was good for the brain. Magic beans!

Back at the office, I helped the other two interns edit a chapter on IP media law they have been working on for a textbook. Then, 5 o’clock rolled around, and I was out of there! After running back to my apartment to change, I hit the grocery store for some groceries and a salad for dinner, then headed home for the evening.

No comments: