April 29, 2007

Allergy Season

Yesterday, it was HOT here. The weather people claimed it was only in the low 80s. But the steering wheel of my car almost burned my fingers and the water I poured on myself to keep cool evaporated the moment it touched my skin. I think it must have been at LEAST 95 degrees, and the weather people are part of some huge government conspiracy to keep Americans from panicking and buying all the ice cream before the summer ice cream supplies are ready.

Also yesterday, I noticed that all the roses have suddenly sprung into full bloom, and are gorgeous in shades of reds, pinks, and purples. Of course, with beautiful flowers come allergies. The weather people admitted the pollen count yesterday was in the "mid to high" range. They must have allergies, because they were SPOT ON! I sneezed like crazy all day. Now I am listening to the soft hum of an air filter machine next to me, as it sucks out the allergens, and blows lovely cool allergen-free air directly into my lungs.

I have had a difficult time finding out how bad allergies are in Thailand, but I am definitely going to pack allergy medicine just in case. If I don't sneeze there, I'll be thrilled. If I do, it will suck. But I will take bunches of drugs, lug a box of kleenex wherever I go, and enjoy myself despite the itchy eyes and scratchy throat!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha! I was one of the panicked ones and now have three pints of ice cream in the freezer. Love your new blog! Can't wait to hear about your travels all summer.

Heather said...

Awww...pouring water on your skin brings back memories of Strasbourg :) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you have AC this summer and don't have to resort to last summer's cooling off methods!